Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Bush Iraq Strategy: A War FOR Terror

If I had a nickel for every time I had to listen to some imperialistic speech about the treacherous Democrats supporting terrorists by democratically criticizing the Bush administrations failed foreign policy, well, I would have a shit-load of nickels. And every debate I enter into with these nay-sayers of logical realism ends with me being labeled a peace-lovin' communist hippie by some fact-challenged troglodite in a business suit.

I am peace-lovin'. I admit it. So was Jesus, so you got somethin' to say about it? More importantly, I am a lover of rational foreign policy, and have a sincere concern for the future of my country. I am not so peace-lovin' that I don't want to see Al Qaeda squashed. I have a very healthy fear of organized religion in general, and have never seen good come of religious zealotry or extremism, no matter how far back I dig in the history books. Osama Bin Laden is still at large (as far as we know) and so are the idiots who lay claim to his ideology, and I would like to see that change, even if it means war.

But also free to wreak illogical damage to my country and my sense of security are the fools who got us into a war that has gotten us no-where, and not quickly. In fact, after 4.5 years, I do not feel my family or friends are any safer from Islamic extremism.

These two zealots (terrorists and the Bush White House) are in cahoots to push their ideology on me and my nation, without regard to facts, the future, or the state of affairs in the middle east. Both seek to promote their agenda at all costs. Both have lost simple decency and rational thinking, for reasons of faith. Both seek to destroy anyone who disagrees with them in order to reinforce their convictions. Neither will change course, engage in debate, or admit to wrong-doing. Neither can be reasoned with. One seeks to destroy, in the name of God, their chosen enemy with violence and blood-shed. The other seeks to destroy, in the name of the Bush Legacy, anyone who sheds light on alternate paths to tread, or better strategies toward success. Most importantly, neither is doing a thing to make the world a better place, nor are they deserving of the power they command. In fact...

The current Iraq strategy is exactly what Al Qaeda wants—the United States distracted and pinned down by Iraq’s internal conflicts and trapped in a quagmire that has become the perfect rallying cry and recruitment tool for Al Qaeda. The United States has no good options given the strategic and tactical mistakes made on Iraq since 2002, but simply staying the course with an indefinite military presence is not advancing U.S. interests.

Instead, the United States must reset its strategy by looking beyond the deteriorating situation in Iraq in order to counter the threat from global terrorist groups and ensure stability in the entire Middle East and Gulf region. To do this, we need to develop a new overall Middle East strategy, not just a series of tactics focused heavily on Iraq. Retired Marine Corps General John Sheehan succinctly identified the main problem when turning down the Bush administration’s offer to serve as the White House “czar” for Iraq and Afghanistan:

“What I found in discussions with current and former members of this administration is that there is no agreed-upon strategic view of the Iraq problem or the region ... the current Washington decision-making process lacks a linkage to a broader view of the region and how the parts fit together strategically.
Also, check out the time-line of "a few more months" this administration has passed off as war-time strategy for 4 years (and make note of the fact that this has taken longer than it took us to win WWII).

We are fighting the wrong war, and killing the wrong people (nearly 1 million Iraqis), for a very long time, while the Bush "administration" and Al Qaeda range free, calling the shots for us.

To all the Preachers of Doom and Boom, seething to attack me in the comments, have at it. I already know each and every thing you will say. I am not a traitor, I've never burned a flag, and I rarely read the communist propaganda I get from the Super Secret Order of Progressive Bloggers anymore. I have never been to Cuba or worshiped as a Muslim (sober), or made sweet love to a Canadian on a bed of Iranian rugs.

What I am is an American capable of using the left side of my brain to overpower the emotional, blind rhetoric behind this ill-conceived war and the ill-informed "leaders" I see on my teevee. A thinker, if you will.

1 comment:

  1. From the Center for American Progress timeline of quotes:

    “The most important thing is that you continue in your jihad in Iraq …Indeed, prolonging the war is in our interest, with God’s permission.” –Al Qaeda letter intercepted by Counterterrorism Center at West Point, October 4, 2006

    ReplyDelete