Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Daily Show and Colbert Report: Back Jan. 7th, Sort Of

I'm as big of a Daily Show and Colbert Report fan as anyone out there. I've found myself bored for an hour each Monday through Thursday evening, as though something was missing.

There have also been stories that would have been perfect for these two shows, almost like they happened just to boost Comedy Central's ratings. The White House caught on fire , Romney gave his JFK speech (which turned out to be the opposite of what JFK actually said, although they both did mention religion), Huckabee and Giuliani put out their Christmas ads (creepy, seriously), and to top it all off, Bush is still president, and Fox News is still on the air. Needless to say, the writers would have had a lot of material to work with.

So part of me is excited about getting my TDS and TCR back, but will they be the same without the writing staffs? I doubt it. To sum it up,

Now that almost all the other late night hosts are returning right after the new year, the latest news is that Jon Stewart (a WGA member) and Stephen Colbert (also a WGA member) are headed back into the studios on January 7th. The good news is that this could make the 2008 Presidential race that much more interesting. The bad news is that the shows won't have available to them the WGA writers who would make the shows that much more interesting.
[...]
And then there's this joint statement by Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert: “We would like to return to work with our writers. If we cannot, we would like to express our ambivalence, but without our writers we are unable to express something as nuanced as ambivalence.”
Send the Comedy Central execs an email and let them know that if they're going to put TDS and TCR back on the air, they're going to need their writers.



P.S. Speaking of funny, my favorite part of the Republican debates is going away, Tom Tancredo is dropping out of the race, now that guy had a hilarious writing staff.

3 comments:

  1. Colbert ought to have used the time to pursue his presidential campaign. If you believe the polls, he could have won the South Carolina Democratic primary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a moderate conservative, (I know.) and I adore both shows.

    I am torn about the writer's strike. The reason that I am ok with these people going back to work are the hundreds of people who make a LOT less than writers losing their jobs and livelihoods through no choice of their own.

    P.S.
    The Huckabee Christmas card was the most frightening image I've had in my head since the whole "Clinton Cigar Crisis" of '96.

    Shudder...

    ReplyDelete
  3. rmwarnick, I agree. I would love to have seen just how far Colbert would've gone with it. And who knows, it may have actually had a positive effect on the campaigns.

    Loralee, "moderate conservative"? Is that contagious, because I believe we may have bumped elbows a few times during lunch. Heh.

    I think a lot of people are torn on the strike for that very reason. For me it basically boils down to the simple fact that the shows would not exist without the creativity of the artists/writers, so until they are the most highly paid member of the production team, it will still be out of whack.

    ReplyDelete