Monday, February 25, 2008

The Chris Buttars Show

Episode 216: Buttars goes to church. From the podium of Cavalry Baptist Church::

"All I can do," Buttars said, "is say I'll beg your forgiveness. It was wrong. It was stupid. And I ask, if it's possible, forgive me."

It was the senator's most direct and public effort thus far to reach out to the black community since calls for his resignation following a Feb. 12 comment Buttars made regarding a bill that he opposed: "This baby is black, I'll tell you. It's a dark, ugly thing."

Buttars had met privately with the Rev. France Davis and other church leaders for about an hour on Thursday for a frank discussion on the topic of race, and Davis told his congregation that he invited Buttars to come to the church Sunday.

Early in the service, Davis invited Buttars to the front of the church, where the senator said he meant no offense by his "terrible remarks."

"I knew as soon as I said it, that it was a horrible remark," he said, but insisted he never meant it in reference to a person. "All I can do is say I'm sorry."
Arguably Senator, that is not all you can do. Using a place of worship as a political tool to save your sinking career is even more evidence that you are unfit as a Senator. And you've still yet to address this, and this.

There is much more you can do, Chris. Your continued "service" is an embarrassment to the state. Resign.

2 comments:

  1. I read a comment somewhere last week which claimed the buttars episode was a planned media event to derail buttars' attempt to stop the homo marriage bill in slc.

    at first i scoffed. Now i am not so sure. I mean...the comment was rathr innocuous, certainly not meriting the lynching that ensued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you mean to say is you "wrote" a comment, not "read." And then you posted it repeatedly on several blogs (all anonymously, of course, because you lack the courage of your convictions).

    But I understand this internet thing may be new to you, so I have to give you a pat on the back for using the word "innocuous." That's a pretty big word for one who wrote those earlier comments.

    ReplyDelete