Thursday, July 10, 2008

Could a Republican Please Explain This to Me?

I think it's important to keep tabs on the "other" side. So I get, among many updates from various conservative groups, the RNC campaign emails. I've finally numbed myself to McCain calling me "friend" enough that I can get through most of them without hitting DELETE. But there's one little pattern that I just can't get past.

From the most recent email I received, featuring George Bush and Mike Duncan:

Our presidential nominee is running on a clear, consistent and conservative agenda and I can assure you he does not want a lonely victory.

That is why I am personally committed to helping our GOP candidates win -- and why I am contacting you, Jason, on behalf of the Republican National Committee (RNC). The RNC is the only GOP organization permitted by law to directly support both our presidential nominee and our GOP candidates up and down the ticket.

Please help provide the maximum support all our candidates need to defeat the Democrats by making a secure online gift of $2,000, $1,000, $500, $100, $50 or $25 to the RNC today.

Your generous donation to the RNC is the single most important contribution you can make to ensure we maintain the White House and regain our majorities in the U.S. Congress.

Jason, I am looking forward to the campaign ahead. I am excited about taking our message to the American people. With your help and hard work, there is no doubt in my mind that we will win.

Sincerely,

Chairman Mike Duncan
George W. Bush
Straight-forward enough. Spell-checked. Grammar okay. Pretty much what you would expect in any national committee email pitch from either party, right? But the RNC has this consistent habit of tacking on a postscript. As such, from the same email:
P.S. Jason, Republicans have a great opportunity to retain the White House, reclaim our majorities in Congress and elect more GOP governors and state officials. Your support is critical to providing the resources our Republican candidates need to win. Please make a secure online gift of $2,000, $1,000, $500, $100, $50 or $25 to the RNC today. Thank you.
Did you catch that? Yes, the postscript and the main body of the email say exactly the same thing. I don't mean to be nit-picky or petty here, I really am just curious. If it were this one email, I'd not have even noticed. But the RNC does this on every damn email they send - McCain, congressional and senatorial races, general updates - you name it, there is always a main body, followed by a postscript that repeats the exact same message as the main body.

According to my copy of Websters, a postscript is
any addition or supplement, as one appended by a writer to a book to supply further information.
Supply. Further. Information. It says.

Not repeat the same thing you have already expressed in fewer words, all the while calling me "friend" (okay, I may not be entirely past that one). That is a summary. So what gives, my GOP colleagues? This is too consistent an event for it to be an oversight of the poor schmoo they make type these things. It's obviously intentional. But to achieve what end? I don't get it, and in all seriousness, I want to know what the RNC is trying to achieve. Or at least hear some theories you may have. Does this actually make people donate more frequently, or give larger amounts? Is there a certain demographic that can only be reached after reading the letters P and S? I need someone in the know to explain this intriguing strategy.

Help me out.

P.S. Have you noticed, Friend, that the RNC fundraising emails always contain a posscript that repeats the exact message of the main body, supplying no new appended information, but merely repeating the same message in less words? I'd like to know why they do that, because it for damn sure isn't accidental, but I don't think it's achieving what they think it is, unless the goal is to annoy me.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps this reflects what the RNC has determined to be the average intelligence of its email base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of the sweepstakes mailers that come around, with italicized post scripts that say something like, "Jessica, remember to mark your order for your 3 free** magazine subscriptions today!"

    And I'm to believe that it was specifically written just for me.
    LOL.

    ReplyDelete